Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Folly of Friends


I think everyone would agree that friends are an incredible gift from the Lord. So, what would be the folly of friends? The folly is when we elevate friends beyond the point where God wants us to elevate them.

The first commandment is "I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me." In other words, God wants to have 1st place in our lives. He wants the pedestal in our hearts. When we elevate our friends (or anything else in life for that matter) to the pedestal of our hearts, God gets jealous and proceeds to show us the folly of placing anything on that throne reserved for Himself.

Why am I writing about this? I sat in the hallway with my eight year-old daughter tonight as she cried about how she felt shunned by her best friend. Her friend decided to hang around with another girl tonight, and my daughter was left in the lurch.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my daughter is a 13 when it comes to extraversion. She loves being around friends; hanging out with friends is what she thinks about, dreams about, and asks about every day. She is learning a lesson that all of us have to learn sometime: only the Lord is worthy of #1 in our lives. That's nothing against her friend; she's a great kid. But, nobody can live up to that lofty pedestal.

While you are lying in bed tonight, ask God to reveal to you any "gods" you may have in your life. And when He reveals them, put them back in their proper place: under God.

No comments: