Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An attempt to explain Christian Value Voting


On the back of my wife's van is a sticker that simply says "I vote Christian". What does this mean? I have heard more than a few comments over the years about my "narrow-mindedness" of voting mostly social issues in the elections. I want to attempt to explain why I and many other Christians have always voted this way.

Jesus Christ, in the first book of the New Testament, said, "Seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness, and all these things will be given unto you." (Matthew 6:33). Now, what does this mean?

It means this: Jesus is saying, "If you seek my will in any situation and do it regardless of what the consequences may seem to your mind, I will take care of everything you need in the other areas of your life." In other words, Jesus is saying that if we put HIS agenda above our own, He will make sure our good is taken care of.

So, when it comes to issues such as the aborting of 40 million unborn babies (which God has forbidden in His commandment "Thou shall not murder"), I may not agree with the pro-life candidate on many other issues such as the economy and taxes and health care. But, I believe (and have seen in my own personal life) that God is always faithful to His promise. And, I believe that He will take care of "all these things" such as our economy, our taxes, and our health care as we seek to fall in line with His agenda.

No comments: