Sunday, August 31, 2008

Is Anybody Listening?

As a Bible scholar, I have often commented that there are two people in the Bible who I would not want to be: Hosea and Jeremiah. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute; that's about all I have to say about that one. And God told Jeremiah essentially this: "Jeremiah, I have a job for you to do: you are going to speak for about 40 years to the people of Israel, warning them that if they don't repent of their sins, I am going to destroy them. Oh, and Jeremiah, nobody is going to listen to you....for 40 years!!! But, you are to preach this for 40 years so that, when I do it, there will be no excuse. Then I am going to destroy them."
Throughout history, the living God has raised up dynasties and then later torn them down because of immorality. He did it in Scripture to all the "biggies": Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, and even His own people Israel.
Then, I read about possibly the greatest dynasty in the history of the world: the Roman Empire. Here are the 5 things that that God used to lead to the demise of this great dynasty: 1. Corrupt government officials, 2. grossly immoral citizenry (sexual immorality & sodomy), 3. a total economic meltdown, 4. an over-extended military, and 5. and inability to secure its own borders.
Sound familiar??? I am afraid that we have become historically illiterate. God has not changed. He STILL deals with nations as He has done since the foundation of the world. America, I believe God is sending prophets to you today to warn you of your impending doom if you don't repent. My prayer is that we who are calling America to turn from its sins and to God are not like Jeremiah of old: told to preach something that no one is going to listen to. Whether we repent or we are destroyed, there will be no excuse.
Lord, have mercy on our country for the sake of Jesus. Send a wave of revival instead of a wave of destruction. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: